The Wedding Diaries: Be My Bridesmaid Boxes

Friday, January 17, 2014


I wanted to ask my girls to be my bridesmaids in a special way.  I saw a few ideas on Pinterest and blogs about making "be my bridesmaid?" boxes.  I think it is such a cute and creative way to ask and just couldn't wait to get started!  But first, I needed to pick my bridesmaids!  It was a hard decision to pick the girls who will stand by me through the wedding planning and celebrate my day with me.  My idea of who I would choose has changed over the years too.  I have a lot of close girlfriends but I could not pick them all.  My decision did not mean I did not think they were a closer friend.  I just did not want to hurt any feelings and hope they can understand.  I wanted to keep the number of bridesmaid at five, mostly due to cost, because I would like to get them their dress, hair, and jewelry.  Also, there's the cost of groomsmen tuxes, bouquets, and boutonnieres, and thank you presents.  It can really add up.  I decided to pick my sister, cousin, and 3 of my close friends.  I can trust and depend on these girls to be close by to help me in an instant.  They share my interests and tastes, and two of them are recently married, which I had the pleasure of being a bridesmaid for :)  Your wedding day is about you!  Choose those who you think will be of most help, but remember to be grateful for everything they do for you too!

I gave the boxes to them recently, and they loved it!  I asked them earlier than expect, because I found the perfect bridesmaid dresses (more on that later!) and needed to know their responses ASAP, which they all said YES!

Materials:
-unfinished wooden cigar box
-acrylic paint
-paint brushes
-alphabet stencil/stickers
-decoration: burlap, lace, twine, mini clothespin

I got my supplies from Joann's and Michael's craft store.  I couldn't decide which size to make it in, so I made a large one (8.25 x 8.13 x 1.75 inches) for my maid of honor. and 4 in a smaller size .  I have these up at my online store, for any brides interested in one of these creations^^


I decided to paint the bottom a cream color, mixing white and a dash of yellow.  I painted 2 coats.


For the top lid, I painted one coat white, and using a shot glass, I left a circle of white, and the rest with 1 coat in my wedding color, MINT! I will be painting a monogram letter of their first name in the circle.



On the inside, I used a printed template and painted 1 coat around it in my mint color.  Inside the template I also used a stencil I printed out and painted the words "be my maid?"  (It was harder than I thought.  If you don't have a steady hand, try using pretty scrapbook alphabet stickers!).  And that was pretty much it!  You can paint or spray paint a top coat to seal it.



I finished them off with a hand painted monogram in the center of the top lid, and floral embellishment sticker.



It did take a lot of time and effort to make, but it was worth it.  I absolutely adore these little boxes.  I also had to gather and make everything I wanted to put inside.  
-5 square photo print collages of wedding ideas (color scheme, shoes, centerpiece ideas, bridesmaid dresses, lovebird theme)
-1 picture from my korean pre-wedding photo shoot with my fiance
-1 trader joe's spearmint peppermint can. Goes with my mint theme ;)
-photo printed color swatches
-handmade scrapbook dress
-4 cards giving details on 'our day', 'the theme', 'my girls', 'your dresses'

Happy Crafting!

::available for purchase @ Store Envy::

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I was looking up costume ideas for Chihiro and found your blog. You're so talented, and this is so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, what is the font you used on the notes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GGORDON, I used this website: http://online.rapidresizer.com/make-name-patterns.php, and under Handwritten, the font was called PACIFICO. I typed out my phrase and printed it out in a size i liked. Hope that helps :)

      Delete

Like us on Facebook